Tuesday 16 September 2008

The Art Thief

Noah Charney is a graduate of Cambridge University and the Courtauld Institute and is considered an expert on art crime so it is hardly surprising that his first novel is entitled The Art Thief. Mr Charney knows his stuff and it is perhaps his over eagerness to impart it that eventualy put me off. Charney writes in a light and witty style that originally reminded me of the late and sadly missed Kyril Bonfiglioli. The difference is that there was a glint of steel beneath the banter in Bonfiglioli's, too small, output. Charney, on the other hand, does not know when to change the mood and after about one hundred pages I had had enough. Don't get me wrong! I am sure that thousands of people will read this book and think it is brilliant but it does not work for me. Mr Charney brews a nice cup of mayhem but there is too much froth on the top for my taste.

No comments: