Friday 8 May 2009

The Suns of Caresh

On the subject of Dr Who there appears to be no half measures, one is either for or against. I have been a fan ever since the series began on TV and I insisted in watching with my children in case they were frightened, of course. That being said I must admit that I have not always been impressed by the efforts of those who write Dr Who books. Often what would be a good idea for an half hour TV episode stretches too thin when pushed to novel length. The Suns of Caresh by Paul Saint runs to 282 pages but it would, in my opinion, have been a better book with fifty pages less. Neverthless it is a very creditable effort and in the hands of a stricter editor would have been among the best.
Memo to all Dr Who writers: Aim for 200 pages that is all most scenarios will take.

No comments: