Thursday 13 May 2010

The Second Woman by Kenneth Cameron

I do not like to be overly critical of the books I read as I appreciate the effort that goes into writing them but this one tried my patience to breaking point. I am not concerned with the plot of this novel as I did not read enough of it to find out what it was because the writing so annoyed me. It is written by an American and his "hero" is American, a writer who is accepted into the higher reaches of Edwardian Society but who behaves like the worst stereotype of a wartime G.I. on leave. It will not do Mr Cameron, you obviously have no conception of the manners expected of a gentleman at the time and not only would Denton have received no invitations beyond the first his uncouth arrogance would probably have earned him a "facer". I implore you, Mr Cameron, write about the United States in future safe on your own home ground.

No comments: