Tuesday 5 March 2013

Kingdom by Jack Hight

This is book two of a planned trilogy on the life of Saladin the Saracen general who is more highly regarded in the West than in the Middle East on account of his being Kurdish.   I have previously read Jack Hight's novel of the siege of Malta (called Siege would you believe?) and also the first of his Saladin books and enjoyed both of them so why did I put this one down after reading about a quarter?.   After some thought I have come to the conclusion that it is because Hight has been trying to be on both sides at once.   Now I fully understand that writing a book about conflict between Christians and Muslims in the Middle East can be a daunting task full of pitfalls these days but trying to ride two horses simultaneously has always been a recipe for displeasing both sides.   Perhaps others who have read this book will disagree ,  well that is alright.    Reading a book is always subjective and one man's meat etc etc.   I shall look out for the final volume of this trilogy and who knows I may change my mind.

No comments: