Thursday 28 April 2011

The Elephant to Hollywood by Michael Caine

Unlike many actors Michael Caine actually wrote this himself. I am confident in my assertion not only because no other writer is mentioned on the flyleaf but because the whole narrative sounds like the man himself talking. I remember seeing him in Zulu and turning to my wife and saying "That man is going to be a star" so perhaps I should claim some of the credit for what now seems an inevitable rise to the top, though as he makes clear it did not feel like that at the time. Most people have a favourite Michael Caine film, the Italian Job or Get Carter are most likely to crop up, but mine is still Zulu. His portrayal of a young inexperienced officer suddenly faced with circumstances for which he is not prepared yet determined to lead his men even to the death would have taxed a veteran let alone a young man in his first major role but he did it. Caine gives us an insiders view of the film business with all it's quirks and eccentricities as well as the famous people that he met and worked with, a roll-call of Hollywood legends. Michael Caine the familly man is also here including the famous story of how he met his beautiful wife Shakira. Now I saw that advert at the same time as he did, just think if I had ........ no forget it.

No comments: