Monday 26 July 2010

A Matter of Blood by Sarah Pinborough

As readers of this blog will have noticed historical novels are my thing, however, I do like to try other genre if a particular book looks interesting. A Matter of Blood which is the first volume of a promised trilogy entitled The Dog-Faced Gods, caught my eye and I am very glad that it did. This is a modern serial killer police detective story with supernatural overtones. Set in the near future when most governments are virtualy bankrupt a super financial institution know simply as The Bank has everyone in it's debt and cash-strapped authorities allow the police to top up their incomes with bribes from certain approved criminal "firms". D.I. Cass Jones has all the ususal modern police attributes, heavy smoking, drinking, drugs, failed marriage and at odds with everyone else on the force. In addition to which he comes from a familly with some supernatural background which he resolutely rejects. To try to summarise the complex plot would do it no justice I will simply say that once I started this book I could not stop. I look forward to volume two.

No comments: